Monday, January 8, 2007

Pink Floyd...Inside Out

Pink Floyd is by far my favorite band ever.
When I started working when I was a teenager, I
saved up money and bought myself a Sony stereo system - I actually still have it. This was also my first CD player - this would have been the late 80's or perhaps '90 or '91 at the absolute latest - Yes, I am getting old.

In any event, I bought Pink Floyd: The Wall two disc set and I listened to it constantly. It quickly became my favorite album. I've since expanded my music taste, but Pink Floyd still is - and always will be - my favorite band. I also was fortunate enough to see them in concert some number of years ago - it was the tour that coincided with their Division Bell album.

This was actually my first "real" concert. I went with my cousin Paul and his dad and a friend of Paul's. We drove to Indianapolis (roughly 3 hours) and then back again after the concert. It was a fantastic concert, filled with lots of "air guitar" from Paul and me as well as thousands more. I drove all the way there, but I distinctly remember dosing off on the drive home and pulling over to let Paul's dad drive. In retrospect, this was not the kindest thing to do since his dad had to work very, very early that morning whereas Paul and I and his friend all would go home and sleep for as long as we wanted to.

It's a great memory, to this day. Well, now to the original point of this post - Inside Out: A Personal History of Pink Floyd. This is the first in depth look at Pink Floyd's long and storied history by an insider - Drummer Nick Mason. I emailed Paul about the book and he informed me he already has it! I will probably pick it up at some point - unless someone buys it for me - however, I rarely have the attention span to sit down and read for long periods of time. It is something though, that I will want to have no matter what.

So what or who is your favorite band? What is your first or best Pink Floyd memory?

No comments:

Sitemeter