Saturday, February 17, 2007

Cholesterol - I'm at the age to start checking. :o(

Okee dokee.... So I am 34 - will be 35 in July - and my doctor wanted to check my cholesterol. Okay, no problem. I'm by no means old, but I am getting older and she (my doctor) felt it was good to get it checked. Also, she is a new doctor of mine, so it helps her learn more about me.

So anyways, my overall cholesterol level was absurd - on the low end - coming in at 149!!!!!. WOO HOO! Now, in general most are probably saying "who cares?". However, for those of you who know me, you know that I eat quite a bit more food than most humans. Not necessarily in one sitting, but defnitely throughout a given day. It frightens most people and shocked my wife when we moved in together and she saw her monthly grocery bill tab triple. My tab wasn't much higher since she doesn't eat much. :o) In addition to consuming mass quantities of food; I do not gain weight - literally no matter what I eat I don't gain weight. This is due in part to my very fast metabolism as well as my Crohn's Disease. Lastly, in addition to what I've already mentioned regarding my eating habits, I eat whatever I want. I add salt to food, I add sugar to already sweetened foods - including adding sugar to Frosted Flakes.

So this is the reason I am blogging about my Cholesterol levels - because it really shouldn't be this way. Oh, did I mention I don't exercise really? Other than living in a 3rd floor walk-up which also is a Tri-Plex requiring many trips up and down stairs. So really, I should be the poster boy of what NOT to do with regard to diet and exercise, let alone cholesterol levels. Yet, I seem to be experiencing the complete anthesis result of what I should. My wife, who eats well, doesn't eat meat, uses no added salt or sugar and exercises some has a higher than normal cholesterol level. Her Doctor wants to put her on meds, but at 33 years old, she is hesitant to start. Clearly, there are genetics involved in her numbers. I suppose you could say there are genetics involved in my numbers as well, but mine don't seem quite right to others.

If it makes anyone feel better, my HDL level is far lower than it should be at 38 and my LDL level is 70, which is good. My Triglycerides came in high at 203 where they would like to see me below 150. So I'm not the perfect picture of health, but I found these results all quite interesting.

As usual, I am proving that I am indeed a freak of nature. :o)

No comments:

Sitemeter