Tuesday, February 20, 2007

HD or not HD? That is the question.

So this is a pretty lame representation. I used my phone to take the photo's - the camera is not even 1 MP in quality. I didn't use my regular digital camera because I'm too lazy to get it to be perfectly frank.

In any event, I find it interesting to flip back and forth between HD and non-HD when the same things are on at the same time Well, Star Wars - Episode IV was on HBO. Both the HBOHD channel and a standard HBO channel.

So I recorded on our DVR both at the same time so I can display both versions. Again, the camera phone quality is poo-poo, so disregard. Interestingly however, you can still see a difference; in my humble opinion (IMHO). For one, the HD picture shows the full wide screen of the shot, not a cropped off at the sides shot. That explains why in one screen shot you can see the guy in the "Bird's Nest" tower and in the other screen shot, you cannot.

In person, the difference is substantial. Even my wife - who really could care less what TV she is watching - notices a difference. It's so substantial - and I'm becoming so snobby about HD - that I find myself watching something otherwise less appealing to me simply because it is an HD signal and picture. Yes, I know. I'm pathetic. :o)

In case you didn't figure it out by now, the picture on the left is HD (the one with the guy in it) and the one on the right is Standard Definition (hence, no guy in the picture).




No comments:

Sitemeter